Wednesday 6 January 2010

1: Hits - Joni Mitchell

Detail links:
So here I am, album no. 1 on my list. Christmas present (thanks mummy).

Joni Mitchell, CC (born Roberta Joan Anderson; November 7, 1943) is a Canadian musician, songwriter, and painter.[1]

An artist I have been told many good things about over the years. I knew the "Woodstock" song from before... OK and "Big Yellow Taxi" also but didn't know it was her (or what it was called).

I found out about her (or at least was inspired to get this album) from a BBC documentary on music from California.

I like this album, I love her voice. The top song on the album has to be "Woodstock" sublime, love it. Straightforward and simple lyrics. Tells a story of a festival like no other.

Big yellow taxi. I never listened to the lyrics much before. But they do make a lot of sense. You don't know what you've got till its gone. And how often is paradise covered in concrete for cars to drive in and out for capitalism.

After my "anti capitalist" comments were pointed out to me I was reminded that I hate going places with insufficient parking... I'm a "hippie crit".

Next week: The Anthology - Muddy Waters

No comments:

Post a Comment