Sunday 17 January 2010

2: Anthology - Muddy Waters

Detail links:
A deep leap into the Mississippi delta. This is a far jump from the polished and highly stylised Rhythm and blues from the states of the early part of this millennium. Yet in some way there are some interesting links and similarities. Subject matter of many of the songs is very much like contemporary R&B, however musically you can hear that the blues had a baby and they called it rock n' role.
I have been a big fan of the roadhouse podcast for some time, so I'm now no stranger to the blues. In fact I quite enjoy it. I do feel I don't know enough about it but my weekly hour of the finest blues I've never heard (roadhouse tag line) is working me towards a rudimentary education.
Anyone who has listened to anything by Muddy or in fact seen the film goodfellas will be familiar with "Manish Boy" [sic]. A song which oozes all the things stereotypical about blues (with a rock leaning), those destictive 12 bars and base line. And I'm sure everyone has listened to various incarnations of "Rollin and Tumblin" which also features on this album.
I found this two disk collection of music a lot of work for one week (note to self: No double CD anthologies of people with big back catalogues). But a long drive did help.
I liked the music a lot. Although i did find it difficult to listen to any of it for a long period.
On a side note this recording was good background music for a small dinner party.
I do plan on returning to the blues after trying some other things out. As a big rock fan I know that a lot of my top bands have a history of influences which lead back to the blues.
Next weeks album is something a little more modern. Work 1989 - 2002 - Orbital

No comments:

Post a Comment