Sunday 24 January 2010

3: Work 1989 - 2002 - Orbital

Detail links:
A far jump from the blues of the Mississippi delta, Work 1989 - 2002 is a good mix of 90s pop/techno. This album was one I got into very quickly during a drive from Leicester back to Kent.

In comparison to the two CD monolith for the previous week and this week (I'm now onto the Yardbirds - Ultimate) it was a shorter piece which was simple and enjoyable. The only track that I was familiar wit from the album being "Satan" Which I can remember blasting from the radio while I retyped my GCSE coursework after a hard disk failure... remember kids, always make regular backups. I hadn't listened to this track since it was on the radio when it was in the charts (Note: not a good track when trying to stick to the speed limit). The only thing it missed from my radio 1 listening days was the intro:
Daddy, what does regret mean?
Well son, the funny thing about regret is,
It's better to regret something you have done,
Than to regret something you haven't done.
And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend,
Be sure and tell her, SATAN, SATAN, SATAN, SATAN, SATAN, SATAN, SATAN!!!
But that asside it's still a good pounding tune with attidtude, pace and Metallica's Kirk Hammett (remixed/recorded for the movie Spawn). A large chunk of the album (like many "dance" tracks & albums) I found repetatice and missing some development/intricacy. But that is very much my own opionon. Not necaserily a bad thing (I do like the albuma and I do like a lot of "dance" music). This partly made it very accesible as less "listening" was required to get into the album.

"Impact" was another track that stood out for two reasons:
  1. The second half is an enjoyable techno sound which somehow goot a good vibe going with me.
  2. The first half has a sample which sounds a little like a horn (from a car) which is mildly offputting when driving.
The voice samples of quotes with political and profound statements... At the same time as describing them as that, their level reminds me of a HHGTTG quote:
"Very deep," said Arthur, "you should send that in to the Reader's Digest. They've got a page for people like you."
While profound, not quite insigtful.

In all I enjoyed the album. It's not a "masterpiece" or article of great historic musical documentation. But One I did enjoy.

My next few albums are already worked out:
4: Ultimate - Yardbirds (I am seeing Eric and Jeff soon)
5: Shallow Life - Lacuna Coil (Seeing them at the end of this week)
6: The Best Of - Jeff Beck (Seeing him and Eric at the end of this week)

No comments:

Post a Comment