Thursday 4 March 2010

8: Greatest Hits [Original recording remastered] - Joan Baez


Joan Baez, such beautiful and personal songs. I still find Diamonds and rust an incredible song given that it is very intimate about Joan and her relationship with Bob Dylan.

I discovered Joan from the Woodstock Diaries DVD which I would recommend to many who are fans of or interested in some of the older rock/pop music out there. It tells a remarkable story and has some infamous recordings from a great many artists. This is a big favourite in my music film collection along side the Monterey Pop Festival DVD.

On the whole I enjoyed the album. I was surprised to find that it felt like a selection of mainly more recent offerings from her in comparison to the Woodstock recording that I have which introduced me to her. She is an artist who while never in the main stream has lead an interesting life and produced some very interesting music with a sole that is rare these days.

My future offerings are:
The Latin Quarter offering stems from a discussion I had with someone who knew of the Modern Times album. This I purchased and will write more about in a future entry. But it will suffice to say that I'm excited about listening to an album that I think is one of the best of all time despite nobody (until I heard someone singing a song from it) else knew of.

No comments:

Post a Comment